After collecting enough research and inspirational material,
I started off by blocking out the the basic layout of the level. I began with a
modular approach by building shapes to represent buildings and the layout of
the planks, foliage, etc.
I repeated a few objects to further build upon my level to
see what layout could look the most interesting to me.
I eventually played around with the verticality and scale of
the level and thought that it could potentially heighten the fun factor of
exploration.
Here are some of my early concepts and blockouts:
One particular idea that I had abandoned was that of a gate
leading towards the mainland of the island. It was to lead down the centre of
the Water Village for boats to pass into. I decided to expand upon the concept
by having multiple routes for boats to enter the mainland through the outer
parts of the cliffs. I didn’t include the idea of the gate because I wanted to village
to have a hint that it is still being expanded upon and still being developed
by its denizens.
Playing with the scale and height of my level, I wanted to
have the world look vast when the player would climb to the top of buildings
and cliffs. I had blocked in some mountains to just barely greet the player on
the horizon, slightly hidden by the fog of the world. I also added in watch
towers to show that although the village is remote, it is not unaccustomed to visitors
as well as travelling out of their home.
When playing around with the colour of my stage, I initially
had an image in my head in which I wanted to have a low orange sun to bask over
my level. I chose to make the water hint off a slight light blue to give off
the more colourful coral reef and to contrast with the light.
With most of my level overpowered with the colour of brown
wood, I chose to break up certain areas that I felt were much too flat with one
colour. I added in foliage to give a healthy look to the village, giving more ‘life’
to the stage.
When blocking in assets, I wanted to see which assets would
have been available with them with the resources that they had around them. I
created many objects such as plates and cups out of wood and other objects such
as trays and teapots to show trade among other civilisations.
I decided against adding weapons to the scene as I did not
want to create anything that could show hostility in any way. I felt this added
more character to what the inhabitants of this village would be like.
On the same subject (somewhat) still didn’t want this
village to look completely safe by creating dangers that aren’t caused by other
invaders, but to themselves with irresponsibility.
I wanted it to add towards their personality as either a
young village or a village with very responsible people that do not need to
have the use of safety rails and prop up fire lighting using wood, as well as
having much potential for fire hazards in many areas.


















No comments:
Post a Comment