Monday, 5 May 2014

The Main Platform



I first started to build my level by creating the main platforms in 3DS Max. I made 6 different kinds of planks that I could use to break up any repeated platforms as much as possible
At first I had created the planks with too many tris as I felt that because it was something that the player would see a lot of. However after play testing many times, I came to realise that it was something that I personally did not focus on very often and found that I was too generous with the tris as it really did not affect the silhouette or shape of the planks.
Another reason I had decided to lower that count was because it was repeated so many times throughout the stage that it ate up so much tris.

Along with the planks, I added the mountainous terrain to the main platform asset. I mainly did this because I considered that it would have been a pain down the line to accurately place them where I wanted them exactly to fit in as it did with my block out plan. I made the terrain blue to contrast with the brown of the wood.
I created stalactites to give the natural terrain more of an impact and pronounce them a little more.
Naturally, the inhabitants would have built around as well as use them as platforms in certain areas; for example placing planks atop them to create new paths.
With the seabed, I only created a plane for it. As vast as it is, it would be very much obscured for detail from the masking of water. For similar reasons I had also kept many of the background mountains low with the tri count because the fog of the stage would filter out the details of the silhouette.

I had used a multi-sub object to assign the planks, the support beams, the mountains and seabed.
The main problem I had was when I was creating the 2nd UV channel for the light information. Because the asset was so big, it was extremely fiddly to fit everything accordingly into the UV space with ease. I had used the flatten mapping on certain objects such as the rectangular support beams, planks, etc. and had re arranged many of the mountains to optimise the shadow seams.

No comments:

Post a Comment