Monday, 5 May 2014

Exporting into UDK



For the type of file I would use when exporting into UDK, I decided to choose the ASC file type. As I have used the FBX file type in the past, I didn’t like it as much as I found that there were many problems with it in the past and broke up my workflow such as the collision mesh not working and having to change the prefixes of how the objects were named in 3DS Max.

I exported my assets into two groupings. The first group were for all of the imported static meshes named ‘Meshes’ with the other files being textures grouped into ‘Materials’. For the Materials I prefixed an ‘M_’ to indicate that it was a Material and can easily find all materials needed to put onto my static meshes.
Because UDK only allows 5 Material IDs, I had to create my assets with the limitation in mind. This affected my approach to having to split some objects of the level up. The bridges for example were made separately from the main platform despite being a major part of it. I didn’t break the rest of the level as I felt it would help the consistency of the placements in the level.
Creating the bridges separately allowed me to split up the use of material IDs and using the support beams in other parts of the level as reference, I was easily able to find and accurate placement for them. This would have been much harder for splitting up the rest of the level.

Max material IDs 5
Using ASC files, no thanks FBX

No comments:

Post a Comment